Fire breaks out at Philmont Home

Fire broke out Thursday afternoon in Philmont.

Half a dozen fire companies were called to 6 Eagle Street around 3:50.

Arriving units found heavy smoke coming from the second flood.

It was a stubborn fire to fight.

We're told the owner, Jeff Mann and family, were not home at the time of the fire.

We're also told that the home was being used as a cat rescue, and possible three cats died in the fire.

Firefighters were on the scene for several hours.

Traffic on Main Street was diverted at several locations.

Both State Police and the Columbia County Sheriff's office were on the scene, as well as Greenport Rescue.

It's thought, a space heater, being used to keep the cats warm, started the fire..

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content